pages

search the rooster

Thursday, June 15, 2017

the worst radio music dj ever

I will come right out and say it: Robin Harper of Chez 106.1 in Ottawa drives my up the wall.

I am not a fan of his voice. I am not a fan of his style. How he has lasted on Chez for so long, I have no idea.

He also is on smack middle of the day.

I generally avoid his show, but some days, you just cannot get good radio. You know, you are listening to a station and there are a few songs you like, then one of several things happen. Crazy long commercial breaks; too much yarking away with not so very good banter; a run of songs that just do not appeal.

I find when that happens and you start flipping through the dial, all the stations are in the same crappy mode. So, you keep flipping through the dial and then eventually you are distracted and find you are listening to something inane. That is usually how I end up listening to Robin Harper on Chez.

This is what happened today. Twice.

I had to run down to Brockville for an errand. I was going to hop over the border to Ogdensburg, New York to get some insect repellent that is near-on impossible to get in Canada, but I discovered my passport expired nine days ago. So, I ended up doing a loop down to Brockville, Westport, and Smiths Falls.

What else do you do, but put on the tunes on the radio. Too much not-so-good radio today and I ended up drifting over to Chez. Harper was on going on and on as usual. He really does love the sound of his own voice. It must be a club of one.

So, one of his devices is to tempt listeners with a lead up to a piece of unusual or weird or shocking news. However, he does not tell it right away. He goes to a commercial break, then plays some music, then more commercials, and usually more music before he reveals this bit of "interesting" news. All with his inane circular going on and on in between all of it.

Well, the tidbit is usually pretty paltry. What is worse, is his delivery. Awful, awful, awful. He feigns shock or wonder in a very unconvincing way. The weird news is pretty non-plussing too. Then he often closes with a "zinger". Super lame. I mean,.really, really, really, super, over-the-top lame.

So, the first time, I kind of fell in to it from distraction and I was on the road with some time before one of my stops. Okay, fair enough. I moved past it. Then the second time on the leg to Westport, he dangles the bait. Then a five-plus minute commercial break, then some songs I was not fond of. Well, I went and did one of my two errands in Westport. I get back in the truck to do the second errand, commercials. I do the second errand, music, him yapping, and then the tidbit-wonderment-zinger. I am glad I ran my errands. It took thirty minutes from introducing the hook to trying to land the fish.

Well, this guppy is not biting, not anymore. I will no longer listen to this lame, ego-inflated clown. He has dicked me around for years and today, it finally clicked: he sucks, truly and honestly. There have been times in the past where I have been driving, I have been a professional driver in regards to work in several jobs, and listening to him and after forty-five minutes several times he has failed to get to the point. I am not going to sit in my truck and wait for the trivial bit of information he is dangling.

Well, I will no longer sniff the bait even when I am driving. I would rather drive in silence. I have a couple of throwaway music dvds that I should just put in the truck for crappy music days.

I mean, this guy either has dirt on someone with the radio station or is related to the station manager. There is no other explanation why he has been at the same radio station for as long as I can remember. This station has disposed of several excellent DJ personalities: Robert W. Knight and Jeff Brown, just to name a couple.

They do have some DJs that are good though. Cosmo in the afternoon reminds in some ways of both Knight and Brown, but he is his own man, as they say. He is probably the best personality they have right now.

I also like Eric the Intern, but honestly, he comes off as infantile at times. I am sure I do too, but wah, wah, wah. One of the best with Eric was one time on the Doc and Woody Show, where he is a supporting personality, and it was Talk Like a Pirate Day or some such. So, he was talking like a pirate and doing a really great job of it. Well it pissed off Doc, I believe, he appears to be the boss of the whole show. Well Doc was so pissed off, he kicked Eric out of the booth. The thing is, Eric stayed "in character" the whole time they argued. Even while he was talking back to Doc and leaving the booth, the entire time he was talking like a pirate. It was awesome. I think Randall Moore, one of the personalities on the show, pointed that out after Eric left the booth, but Doc was so pissed off, he was not listening to anyone. You know what I have to say about that? Wah, wah, wah. Or, as my sister-in-law Claire would say: "Suck it up buttercup!" Doc was a big baby and had no real reason to be mad at Eric. Well, normally he is alright on the show, but you can tell his ego needs stroking.

Anyway, my point is, if you want to throw something out there, then do it and get over with. I know that Robin Harper is using a tool to keep you listening to his show and to the station, but really man?! Unless you work in one location, like an office, most people do not have time for the bait and hook crap. Especially when you do not set the hook. It just does not work for people working out of vehicles dude.

In closing, not that I will never know as I will no longer listen to your lame antics, Robin Harper of Chez 106.1, crap or get off the pot. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment