pages

search the rooster

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

travel tip - clothing

I have a lot of t-shirts from Karate Training Camps, Scouting events, and the like. Or I should say: I used to have a lot of these t-shirts.

I also have many pairs of socks as I tend to buy in bulk. Again, I used to.

The same with a lot of my clothing.

The vast majority is, or was, cotton; with wool predominating in the sock arena. Until recently, very little of my clothing was synthetic. Something that is changing due to the vastly improved quality of synthetic clothing especially in active-wear. Leisure suits no longer overwhelm the demand for polyester.

no longer the norm in synthetic fabric clothing
thank all that is holy and good in this world
 (courtesy halloweencostumes.com)

Where was I? Oh yeah. So, most of my clothing, until recently had been made with natural fibres. They are often hard-wearing, like denim. They can still also be quite inexpensive. Hence their use for souvenir clothing from training events and various organised activities.

However, as they age, they stretch and fade and stain and just lose their fresh look. Most people throw out their clothing long before it reaches this state.

No me. I am a cheapskate. I get my money's worth. Right down to the last penny.

In fact, I get more than my money's worth. I take this clothing on trips or backwoods camping.

Why you ask? Simple. I dispose of it while out on my adventure.

I wear it, then I throw it out. While camping, as it is natural fibre, I burn it. My bags, or pack, are that much lighter to get back home. If I am on a trip, it makes room for all my frivolous purchases.

I was inspired by the wife's father. Many moons ago, while he was still with us, he travelled a lot as an engineer. Sometimes, they were short jaunts and he, like me, hated bringing home soiled clothing. He actually would buy disposable underwear so he did not have to bring it home to wash. It was made out of some hard-wearing paper. I never saw them or tried to acquire them. I am far too cheap for that.

Instead. When my clothing would wear past its prime, I would stack it up and save it for the next trip or backwoods venture. Sometimes, I would have to darn some socks or mend my undies, but for a few minutes time, it is worth it. Plus, I have enough thread to bequeath it to someone when I shuffle off my mortal coil. Sort of how I ended up with it all. My mum would buy spools and spools when it was on sale as she was an accomplished seamstress and tailor. In fact, she used to make leisure suits for my dad, brother, and me. Unfortunately, I have no photographic records. At least, none I will admit to.

So, I was sorting through the stacks as I was doing some pre-packing for the Canada Jamboree. I take a t-shirt, fold it, then place a pair each of underwear and socks on top, then I fold it again. I do this until all my days away are covered. I usually add a couple of extras, just in case I need to change twice in a day. Then, I organise trousers, sweats shirts and pants, and other sundry clothing items. And in the bag they go.

Of course, not everything can be disposed of. I have come really, really close a couple of times though. Jackets, footwear, hats, gloves, etc., often last much longer than everything else, so those items are more rare for disposal. However, I do have a pair of shoes that are done-in I am saving as a backup pair for a future trip.

Now, you must be wondering how I look. I must look like an awful inbred psych-ward inmate? Not usually, unless I try. I do also often bring nicer collared shirts to cover up the nasty t-shirts. I am a two-layer kind of guy when it comes to tops. My pants just look well broken in and comfortable.

I of course bring at least two good changes of clothing. Top to bottom, all layers, under, middle, and over. If I get delayed returning, I still have something to wear and Customs is less confused if there are a change or two of clothing in my bag. They also come in handy if you want to go to a nice place for dinner or need to look presentable for some reason; like a deportation hearing or extradition tribunal.

This method also works for clothing you may not be too fond of, but feel you cannot just dispose of. I have a shirt I am taking that has an odd fit. I will bring it and toss it. Plus, it has a burn hole in it that I did not notice when I got it at the Sally-Ann.

The unfortunate side effect of improved synthetics for me though, is when I go backwoods camping. I will not burn what is essentially recycled pop bottles. However, the trade off is that this clothing tends to pack smaller and lighter. Plus, it breathes better, so should be harder to "stink-up" while in the bush.

I am not too worried though. I almost exclusively wear wool or cotton socks and I still have several Karate and Scouting t-shirts that are now reaching their end of normal life and will pass in to the realm of one-way travel. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment