pages

search the rooster

Sunday, June 11, 2017

i doff my hat to farmers everywhere

So, over the last few days I have been working my veggie and herb garden. I have been removing sod, tilling the soil, planting, and weeding. All by hand.

It has knocked the crap out of me.

So, I de-sodded, tilled, and planted two sections, 12 x 7 feet and 25 x 6 feet.

I weeded, with the help of the boy, a section 15 x 15 feet.

I have two sections to still do, 15 x 11 feet and 10 x 25 feet.

I also, removed, filled in, and re-sodded an old fire pit that had a four foot diameter.

I still have to put in another potato patch. You are supposed to plant potatoes in the same spot only every third year. I currently only have two patches designated for potatoes.

This all adds up to about 886.5 square feet so far. Or 0.02 acres or 0.008 hectares. A pittance compared to any real farm.

Yes, I know most all farmers use various mechanical and motorised equipment. However, that was not always so. And in some parts of the world, much farming is still done the "old school" way.

Let me tell you, hard, hard, very hard work.

Farmers need to be recognised for their hard work. They are a very important link, probably the most important link, in the chain of getting food in our bellies.

Sure there are those that develop and distribute seeds. There are those that maintain the farm equipment (sometimes the farmers themselves). There is the actual farming by farmers and their "farm-hands". Those that collect, transport, and distribute the produce. The grocery stores.

However, without farmers, there would be nothing. They can manage their own seed development and keeping it for future use. They, of course, do the farming. They can distribute it themselves if they want to; some do. Grocery stores are a luxury.

So, you see, farmers are very important for all of us. I think they are not appreciated nearly enough. 

Tending my trifle of dirt has made me realise how truly important farmers and farming are. I always knew they were of value to the global society, I just understand it even more. When I harvest my veggies and herbs they will taste that much better. When I eat anything, it will taste that much better.

Thank-you to all farmers! blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment