pages

search the rooster

Tuesday, October 03, 2017

runnin' down a dream - we have lost an icon

Thomas Earl Petty: 20 October 1950 - 02 October 2017


Tom Petty is one of my favourite music artists. In fact, he is my favourite music artist, he has been in a near-on four way tie for years, but he has edged out all the competition, because he saved me. I cannot imagine a life without new creations by this extremely talented person. I missed a chance to see him live this past summer. It may be my first regret in life. I missed an opportunity years ago to see David Bowie as well, but my commitments to the military precluded the possibility of making it so, so I cannot bemoan that lost moment.



His passing does not diminish his talents, it only prevents us from being able to enjoy and revel in new and spectacular creations that I know he still had in him. Declaring his retirement or not earlier this year, a creative person such as Tom Petty, I believe, would not have kept his craft from the world for long. I presume, he would have certainly "popped-up" from time to time, most likely in the most unexpected places. Sadly, we will never know.



I will always remember that he and his music gave me great solace one year, during a particularly difficult period in my time in the military. If it were not for Full Moon Fever, I would probably have lost it. I listened to that cassette dozens, no!, hundreds of times over a four month period. I continued to listen to it every time I drove for many years after. It was in my little hatchback until it finally gave up the ghost and landed in my first pickup truck and was my go-to tape every time. I still have that cassette. 

I still listen to him all the time. Hell, the boy is even a huge fan and follower of Tom Petty, and The Heartbreakers. He is none too peaceful either with this terrible loss.



Thomas Earl Petty, you will be sorely, and greatly, missed. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment