pages

search the rooster

Monday, October 09, 2017

thanksgiving shoosting

The wife had to go in to work on this Thanksgiving Monday. So, the boy and I went shooting at the range. (Euphemistically called "shoosting".)

Just .22s and one of my .32 ACP pistols. He was not keen on the 32. He likes the Ruger MKII pistol, but I need to find him a standard barrel as opposed to the bull barrel one I have, for the lighter weight. He is not too bad a shot for just starting out. He hits the paper. He needs more training to control his breathing and improve his aiming habits. However, he shoots better than many novice adult shooters I have met over the years.

The rifles. I have an ancient beat-up Cooey Model 60 bolt-action. It has a modified scope mount that I bought from a guy up in Yellowknife, NWT. It is interesting, in that it prevents spent casings from bouncing off the scope mount back in to the loading area of the rifle. Sighting can be done with either the scope or the iron sights as well. The boy rather liked it and it functions fairly well for left handed shooting, as the boy prefers for rifle. Personally, I find the rifle boring. It is super accurate. 

Colonel Townsend Whelen said, "Only accurate rifles are interesting." Personally, once all the tweaking is done, a rifle no longer is fun for me. At that point, its only purpose is for serious shooting. That is the reserve of other actions that have no place during funtime.

Now, my FN Browning Trombone pump-action, that will give me eons of "fun". It had cycling issues. I had it fixed. The issue is now sporadic. I need to experiment with it to determine if it is what I am feeding it or if something is inherently wrong to just piss me off. Also, it is scoped. Not crazy about it, but the previous owner removed the rear sight. I know not why. I will need to have one installed, as the irons can be used with the scope still mounted, just like the Cooey. Because it was particularly acting up for the boy, he did not shoot it much today. I need to experiment, as it may be one of those firearms that has to be handled a particular way and will just not work for some people; though it may be the rifle. Time will tell.

The Marlin 39-A lever-action is a treat. I particularly like it. The boy does too. The previous owner replaced the existing iron sights with a Lyman peep sight kit, which really is a diopter sight. Anyway, it shoots really well. I think a scope would really make this guy shine, but I fear I would not be able to keep the Lyman sight mounted; the boy really likes the sights on this rifle. Investigation is needed. This is now a "fun gun". Tweaking required.

The fourth, and last rifle, is a Ruger 10/22. A no bells -and-whistles model. Personally, I find people fart around way too much with these. One can hardly recognise them for the rifle they are sometimes. I like my basic model. The only thing that I will work on is scoping it. The boy is interested in that too. Probably because he had the least success with accuracy with it. The only problem with mounting a scope, is that the iron sights will most likely not be usable. I will need to investigate options; maybe a peep sight instead. As to making other changes. I may consider buying a stainless one with a synthetic stock. it would be ideal for field use, but I am in no rush. Then I would have to consider if a take-down model is worth the effort too; probably not. so, another funtime-charlie project with this guy.

Those are all the .22s, we brought them all today. However, I want to get a Remington 552. I missed an opportunity recently and I am pretty pissed with myself. It was a nice model, with really good iron sights. So, now the search has restarted in that particular area. The only other .22 there is an interest in, other than another Ruger MKII as mentioned earlier, is a wheel gun. Most likely a Smith and Wesson Model 17 or one of its variants. Preferably a six-shot. Well, that closes off the .22s and the day. Happy Shoosting Day, um, I mean, um, Happy Thanksgiving. blbbl

No comments:

Post a Comment